February 25, 2013

Sweet Potato Lentil Chili

This chili used to be a staple around my home, until my husband got a hold of this dish and wasn't a fan of sweet taters in a savory bowl. Cutting a recipe that feeds 5-6 into 1-2 servings wasn't the easiest of tasks, I never have black beans on hand (it's easy to switch 'em out with pinto but that always changes the pretty color theme of a meal from blacks and bright colors to brown...everything) and I don't use garlic or onion much so with all of this editing I simply stopped making this thick n' hearty chili.



Until now.... I am going to start making a meal or two for family members outside of our squad that is spouse, baby and myself, to share some delicious-tasting recipes with love. I am overly excited about this for many reasons, one of them standing out a little bit more than the others:

I can use fresh garlic and onion in the kitchen! I mean, 5 cloves of minced garlic and a whole onion, diced. I can add those to recipes for the first. time. in forever.

I, I, I am singing from the joy this is causing me to feel. Anyhow. For this week I pulled out Dreena Burton's, Eat, Drink and Be Vegan cookbook and started marking up the pages. I'm going for this sweet potato and lentil chili, a tofu n' broccoli stir fry with cashews, and maybe a lentil loaf! (recipe for the lentil loaf is from Angela at Oh She Glows.)



Here is her original recipe. I would post it here but for the first time in 8,000 years I didn't really make any modifications. Okay, that's not true... I used half green lentils and half sprouted beans (from TruRoots, we get a bag at Costco). Also I used 3 medium-sized tomatoes, and crushed bay leaves instead of one whole one. Also, I soaked raw black beans overnight and cooked them in water the next day for this dish, instead of using canned beans. Lastly, I sautéed everything in a little water instead of oil, and added no extra salt since my chili powder contains salt. The end!

Dreena Burton's delicious, filling, loaded with nutrients, Sweet Potato and Lentil Chili!


Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty. "(John 6:35 NIV)

Jesus makes such a powerful statement here. If I go to Him, I will never hunger or thirst. This is so true, I feel how real this is since recently I have been reading His book more often, trying to memorize scripture and equip myself with tools to share all He has done for us with others. If I don't spend time with Him and the bible each day, I feel a strange sense of weakness and lack of joy for the time following. I really do need the bread and water that He supplies, in the form of communion with Him through constant prayer, the reading (and applying what I read to my life) of His magnificent book, and giving thanks throughout the day, realizing all of the blessings He has poured into my life's cup - in order to feel a hunger and thirst that are truly satisfied.

My prayer is that whoever reads this would look to Jesus Christ to fulfill that hunger and thirst in them that has never been filled to the brim. He will give you to eat and drink in ways you never imagined!

No comments:

Post a Comment