March 4, 2013

A First for Me: Raw Marinara Pasta Sauce

I remember first hearing about this "vegan" way of eating. Strange and tempting, I thought. A constant challenge in the kitchen, forced to be creative. Shortly after, I was hooked. Later, I read about fruitarians and raw vegan foodies (that eat more than just fruit, but vegetables and sprouted grains, seeds n' sometimes beans). Absurd, but again I was tempted. I was warned by a friend to not jump into the fruitarian group, since she had a bad experience with it. The raw vegan thing quickly overwhelmed me and seemed too complicated. A $40 spiralizer to make zucchini noodles? Sprouting jars for lentils? Dehydrator machines?! To never eat a warm bowl of bean chili again? Ouch!

Here's a little rundown on the two:

Fruitarianism involves the practice of following a diet that includes fruits, nuts and seeds, without animal products, vegetables and grains.[1] Fruitarianism is a subset of dietary veganism. (Source)

Raw veganism is a diet that combines the concepts of veganism and raw foodism. It excludes all food of animal origin, as well as food cooked at a temperature above 48 °C (118 °F). A raw vegan diet includes raw vegetables and fruits, nuts and nut pastes, grain and legume sprouts, seeds, plant oils, sea vegetables, herbs, and fresh juices. (Source)

Jump to today, and I seem to have slipped over to a high raw vegan way. This basically looks like a whole lot of raw fruit and veggie smoothies, raw fruit and veggies for snackage, some soaked grains and seeds, and one cooked meal a day (including beans, vegetables and sometimes a grain). It isn't hard at all, I am not eating raw vegan pizza straight from the dehydrator (although I have made it and it is AMAZING!) and I have yet to sprout lentils and place them over a plate of beautiful green leaves. But maybe I will, some day. I am also not eating 39 bananas in a day or 13 oranges for breakfast. Not because I don't want to, but because that isn't something we can afford. No complaints there, though!

I have been following a few raw vegan eaters on Instagram for recipe ideas and meal inspiration. And I have to say, it's a gold mine out there! I don't know how many recipes I have copied in the past 3 months or so, but there have been dozens, and none have disappointed my taste buds.

This brings me to: Carrie, over at Kale Crush, who is more active on Instagram than she is on her blog, so find her and follow her photos with recipes attached pronto! I am constantly finding myself making her meals, making no changes, and absolutely loving them. This raw marinara caught my eye one sleepy evening a week or two ago and all I had to buy was some sun-dried tomatoes, everything else was sitting in my fridge, calling my name.


Without further adieu:
Carrie's Raw Marinara Sauce

Containing:
2 tomatoes
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes*
1/3 bell pepper
3 celery stalks
2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
2 green onions
2 dates, pitted

*try to find no-sulfate a, no salt added ones!

How to make it: place all ingredients in the nearest blender and pulverize!

You can now... serve over zucchini noodles or any type of pasta, eat like a soup, plop some garbanzo beans in there and spoon atop romaine leaves, realize the garlic is too strong on your mouth for your husband to be able to stand in the same room as you and decide to make the sauce no longer raw, boil the heck out of it, and use it as a pizza sauce... The possibilities are (crazy tasty) endless!


Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32 ESV)

This is a bold, clear verse. We are called to be kind:
Of a friendly, generous, or warm-hearted nature.

We are called to be tender hearted:
Easily moved by another's distress; compassionate.

And we are called to forgive, as God forgives those that ask, through His Son, Jesus Christ!

It couldn't be more simply put, and it couldn't be more difficult. I struggle, and struggle often, to be like Christ in this sense. My spirit is ready and willing, but my flesh is so weak. It doesn't make me a failure without hope, though. Each minute God grants us is new. If we messed up 5 minutes ago, Christ will forgive us right now if we ask Him to, and we can try to do better. Likewise, if someone else messed up 5 minutes ago, we are called to have the same love as Christ does, and forgive.

Let's do this! Let us be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave us.

No comments:

Post a Comment