March 31, 2013

Baby Eats: Broccoli n' Carrots

Baby led weaning, or "place food in front of your 6 month old baby at meal time and see if they eat it" is so much fun! It's so much easier than making a dozen purees and attempting to feed it to them with a spoon, and it makes us giggle. We have tried a handful of different foods, but this time around was steamed broccoli florets and stems, with baby carrots cut in thick matchsticks. I have seen parents give their babies whole carrot chunks, but for our peace of mind we chose to cut the carrots in half long ways - so Santi could grab them and we could avoid him choking.


He loved them both! It seems like he prefers a food that he can grab without it slipping out of his hand, like avocado or banana, and he isn't as hesitant to bring it to his mouth. Them slippery foods are harder to handle, take longer to get the hang of, and aren't as fun to "chew" for this boy. He always stares at us while he munches, as if to make sure it is okay that he is eating, and he seems to want to examine our facial expressions as he experiments.

No choking. No gagging this time around. Happy broccoli trees and carrot sticks into his belly.


I had pinto beans with avocado, vegetables with wild rice and creamy sweet potato sauce. The sweet potato sauce was out of the blue and not planned, so I threw half a sweet potato, a handful of cooked carrots (leftover from Santi's portion), a splash of water and almond milk, nutritional yeast, some soaked cashews, paprika, garlic powder, pepper and red pepper flakes into a blender. Then simmered over medium heat to thicken up a bit. I made the recipe for some macaroni that I brought to a friend, and the leftovers became a sort of "dipping sauce" for me that week. So good and easy to make! Blenders are gems.



If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Corinthians 13:1 ESV)

Sound without soul. Sharp and piercing. That is what the words that flow off of my tongue would be like if I were to say them without love. Lord, help my every thought to arrive slowly to my lips, so that I would examine them and make sure that my words would build others up in love, instead of tear them down. If I do anything without -sincere- love in my heart, it has no meaning. It is pointless. I am guided to do every (little and big) thing in love. Today I start with my language.

No comments:

Post a Comment