March 20, 2013

Carob Buckwheat n' Banana Smoothie

I had all my smoothies packed for the day, but I hadn't had breakfast yet. If I drank one of the prepped smoothies, I would have one less drink for the workday, and I would surely be hungry before I arrived home. What's a girl to do? Throw fruit in a blender, that's what. You've got 2 minutes. Just do it.

Carob Buckwheat n' Banana Smoothie




  • 2 bananas, fresh or frozen
  • 1 tbsp carob powder
  • hefty dash of cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup sprouted buckwheat
  • 1/2-1 cup water
Blend! Drink! Smile.


I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me." Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?" And the King will answer them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." (Matthew 25:36-40 ESV)

I instantly am reminded of the half dozen "regulars" that we see on the street corners of this city. The same homeless people, the same signs made from thick poster board with new home ads on them, their same clothing, same old backpack. Why is it that I can't even give them a smile? I always say, "if I had food I would give it to them." I hardly ever do, since I pack for just enough grub to get me through the day. But I wonder, if I someday did have food, would I really give it to them? Should I pack a bible in a sack lunch? An invitation to my church? A warm coat? All are great ideas, but will I do it?

Pride. We are all so embarrassed! We avoid eye contact (or is that just me?) we pretend we have NOTHING to give. What about the coat I am wearing? The blanket in the back seat? The worse is when you think of something to give them but a voice whispers, "they don't want that, they want money. They are going to refuse what you give them." Why do I listen to that voice? If they don't want what I give, what is wrong with that? Pride. I will be rejected. I will never want to give to a beggar again.

Humble my heart, Lord Jesus.

When we serve others that are in need, we are serving Christ. When we ignore the needs of others, we ignore our Savior. When He provides everything we have, and we don't in turn give to those who do not have much at all, we are being selfish. We are cold. We think we are better than them. We earned it, we worked for it, what did they do? What's their story? Did they once ignore someone asking for money at the stoplight on the busiest street in town? How did this become their life?

I'm called to serve others with the love of Christ. To make a sandwich, pack it up with a piece of fruit, a water bottle, a bible and invitation to church, and a pair of gloves or warm socks.

I pray that God would continue to put this on my heart, that I would stop being cold toward those in need and remember that what I do to the people He places in my life, I do to Him. Will I choose to serve Him or ignore Him?

But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. – 1 John 3:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment