March 5, 2013

Kale and Spinach Soup, Tahini-Dressed Garbanzos

Like a handful of this world's population, I was never a fan of cooked greens as a child, teen, or adult. Something about them just reminded me of the word, "soggy" and let us all be real here: a cooked version of a leafy green looks a lot like a rotten, spoiled, that's-gone-bad-long-time-ago version of itself. Wilted, darker in color, squishy. Mind you, I know a plate of these cooked greens tastes pretty fantastic if prepared correctly. I'm just saying, I understand where the haters come from.

I have recently converted from cooked-green-scaredy-pants to big. fan. more. please. and it has been a fun time! When Santi came into this world, my friend, Katie, came over and she brought us dinner.

*looks everywhere to find a picture of the delightful dish she supplied us with from 5 months ago, among 7,936,972,220 other photos of we-just-became-parents month also known as September 2013.*


Included was cooked squash, which we seasoned with Italian everything, veggie loaded pasta sauce over spaghetti, and sautéed spinach. It never ceases to fascinate me how much greens decrease in volume when cooked. Hello, 8 cups of raw spinach that just became 1 cup cooked! Katie sautéed the beautiful greens with a simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar mix, then tossed in some walnut halves. Woah mama, that's faaaantaaastiiiccc! I was sold.

Enjoyable cooked greens experience #2: do your happy self a favor and head over to Green Kitchen Stories' blog. Gander, ooh, aahh, you see what I mean? Everything looks so delectable.

de·lec·ta·ble
/diˈlektəbəl/
Adjective
(of food or drink) Delicious.
Extremely beautiful.
Synonyms
delicious - delightful - pleasant - luscious - lovely

So, naturally when I saw their recipe for a kale and spinach soup, and I just so happened to have a LOT of spinach and kale in my fridge (it happens when you already bought 4 bunches of kale, then your hubby finds Costco's one and a half pound bag of it and brings it home happily.) so this recipe was shining like a bright star, telling me to follow it.


Then this happened. Oh gosh. I puréed it, so it was more like seasoned green water, but my oh my those tahini covered garbanzos! They maaaadde this dish unforgettable. And I ate a boat load of cooked greens! Hooray!

Just try it.


Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. (Ephesians 4:29 ESV)

May the words that we say build each other up and not rip each other down! I need to think, "how is what I'm about to say going to affect them?" Before opening my mouth. Words are powerful, our tongues are fierce, worshipping the Creator of this world and snapping at our neighbor within the same hour. I think working on memorizing this verse is going to be very beneficial. May my words be a gift to those who hear them, may God be glorified and honored through all I say, and if (and when) I slip up, I say a prayer and continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment