March 16, 2013

Lentils and Rice Lettuce Wraps

I can't get enough romaine boats in my weekly meals. It's such a blast consuming large amounts of fresh greens this way! Green Smoothie (or 2) in the morning, romaine boats or big salad in the afternoon, more greens in a nighttime smoothie, why didn't I ever think to do this before? My tummy does happy dances after each meal, and I can only imagine my heart is lovin' on them leafy greens!

This meal was one of those, "get rid of the leftovers, now!" type of dishes. Guacamole to help things stick to the leaves, parsley for good measure, autumn rice and sweet potato lentil chili. Easy peas. I haven't had peas in over a year. I need some peas. Macaroni and peas. Peas by themselves. Peas with red pepper flakes. Mmmmm....



Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends. (Proverbs 17:9 ESV)

This verse makes it clear: letting bitterness toward someone cling to us and fester will indefinitely break a friendship. Whereas forgiving does the opposite: it mends the bond that holds people together in love.

It's interesting how it says, "close friends" as opposed to simply, "friends." If I repeat errors, hurtful acts or harsh words I can lose close, even my best, well-known, very much loved, growing-together-since-childhood friends! What a reminder of how powerful our tongue is, how sinful our flesh, that we can really hurt people that we love if we aren't careful. Even as a follower of Christ, I am still imperfect and can make the same mistake more than once. This motivates me to be the Word of God consistently in order to live in His love and have it pour out onto those around me, to have my eyes opened to how easy it is to fall to sin more than once, and that if effects not only me but the people that surround me.

At the same time, I need to place everyone else in the same shoes. We are flawed, we slip up, and I am called to forgive their faults. Cover their offenses, love them for exactly who they are (a sinner, like me) and it will result in a stronger friendship. Forgive. Forget. Move on.

Lord, help me to think before I speak. To be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. To have grace for friends like You have grace for all of us. To focus on the beautiful person You formed them to be, not the errors that sin has caused them to make. Guide me to see a repeated sin trying to creep its way toward me and to bring my focus back to You. That the words on my lips, the actions I make and the thoughts that fill my mind would be pleasing to you and bless others as they come to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment