March 21, 2013

Parsley n' Apple Smoothie

Oh, parsley! Why are you so refreshing? Why do you make my burps all just-brushed-my-teeth fresh? Why do you dance so well with apple, pineapple and cold water? Why, oh why, had we not met until this year? You're delicious. I added a banana last time. It worked wonders.


Parsley and Apple Smoothie
serves one

  • 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, with stems
  • 1 handful spinach 
  • 1 apple, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup pineapple
  • 1-2 (or 3!) cups water, ice
Blend! I like a lot of water because it is more the consistency of juice straight from the juicer, and it takes longer to drink since it doubles in quantity, and... and... it just works better that way. Feel free to add a banana or two next time around and see if you fancy.


"Don't seek revenge or carry a grudge against any of your people. "Love your neighbor as yourself. I am God. (Leviticus 19:18 MSG)

As an early-teenager, this verse was hard for me to follow. No, not because of the crazy kids in my life that I simply could not even begin to try to love, but because of the, "as yourself" part. You see, like (unfortunately) a lot of kids, I didn't really think of myself too highly. It wasn't too obvious, though, because of the pressure to look and act the joy-filled, I-have-everything-and-I-am-happy part, it seemed as if I thought I was pretty rad. But that was just pride, filling my heart and saturating my thoughts, hiding the fact that I really thought I was a waste of existence.

I know, that's a bit harsh. But I was dramatic (aren't most 13 year olds?) and blind to truth, and most of all, I wasn't walking with the Lord.

Once I started loving the daughter God made me to be, and embracing the beautiful heart He formed in me, the goofy attitude, the simply-amused side of myself, the fact that He didn't make me to look, act, talk, dress, or think like everyone else (mainly: the half dozen girls I thought were perfect for 100% materialistic and vain reasons... Sheesh I sure was a young, brain-washed soul!) I was able to understand this verse so much more. It is a profound commandment God calls His followers to believe, even the 13-year-old believers.

Loving others as I love myself doesn't only mean that I should accept them and love them just as God made them, like I have learned to accept and love myself. It also calls me to love them just how I hope to be loved: unconditionally, just as I am, don't count my flaws, please forgive my mistakes, make me aware of any wrong I have done, be honest with me. This is how God is guiding me to love you. If you were me, how would I treat me?

In the devotional I am doing it asks, "why did God remind them of who He was at the end?"

It's a reminder that He is our Creator, our loving Savior, the reason we breathe. This all-knowing, all-powerful King of all creation is telling us to do something. We need to take this commandment seriously and obey Him in love. Obey Him and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment