March 27, 2013

Tofu Coconut Curry Soup

We aren't huge fans of going out to eat. You see, we have come to the realization that mostly everything we eat out can be and should be made at home, and it will cost us less ca-ching, as well. Every so often, though, we find ourselves dining out at a fancy or not-super-fancy restaurant and we discover some real keepers.

Example: Coconut curry soup.

I don't believe I had ever tried anything like this in my entire life, and boy oh boy am I happy I did! We went to Araya's Vegetarian Place in Seattle for dinner one day last year *searches everywhere for that post and fails* and I stumbled upon this bowl. It had green curry, coconut milk, chunks of tofu and vegetables, and burnt my esophagus. Spicy joy in my mouth and belly! The only problem was how much sodium had to be added to this bowl, because I chugged about 24 gallons of good ol' H2O that entire evening and the day prior.

Lesson: make your food at home, leave the salt in the cabinet.

So I Googled a few recipes to come up with this. I wanted to make my own curry paste and leave out the salt - how hard could that be? Well, it was actually a tiny challenge, I won't lie. I found this recipe for a curry paste and this recipe for a tofu coconut soup and went to town! It turned out spicy, creamy, rich, and decadent.  Even my lovely hubby asked for it to become a bi-monthly staple for dinner in our home! Hooray for new meals!


Tofu Coconut Curry Soup
serves 4 as a side, 3 as a main course

Soup
2 cans coconut milk
2 cups veggie stock*
1/2 cup water
10-20 dried red peppers, stems removed - spicy!!
1/2 block of extra firm tofu (10oz or so), cubed
1 bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 large zucchini, cut into chunks
3 garlic cloves

Curry Paste
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp turmeric
3 tbsp lemon juice

cilantro and lime juice, for garnishing and squirting that lime goodness on top.

*I make my own vegetable broth by blending and entire onion, 3-4 celery stalks and 3-4 large carrots in a blender with 4 cups of water, 1-2 tsp each of: rosemary, italian seasoning and pepper. I then keep it in the freezer in 2-cup portions and use as needed - it's so easy!

How To: Bring a large pot to medium heat, pour in your veggie stock and water. Add your curry paste ingredients and red chilis to a high speed blender with the coconut milk. (If you don't have a high speed blender, grind up your dry ingredients in a coffee grinder and add to the pot with the coconut milk.) Once the coconut milk and spices are evenly combined and no pieces remain, add it to the bubbly vegetable stock in the pot. Carefully drop in your vegetables and tofu. Let simmer for 10-20 minutes, until vegetables are cooked but not mushy. Serve with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.



So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. (1 John 4:16 ESV)

God is love. Meaning, God is everything that 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 describes love to be: God is patient, God is kind. God does not envy, God does not boast, God is not proud. God does not dishonor others, God is not self-seeking, God is not easily angered, God keeps no record of wrongs. God does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. God always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. God never fails.

He is the reason I have inner peace. He is my joy, my hope, the example I am to live by. God loves us, more than we can even begin to comprehend. And if we abide in love, we abide in Him, we are secure in our relationship with Him. He is our (very loving) Father and we are His (very loved) children.

To put my trust in God's love means I do not worry about tomorrow (at least I try not to). I don't feel alone, knowing He loves me too much to ever leave my side. I don't question His way of doing things, because I trust fully that His way, although I don't always understand it, is best.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nicole...when you make the veggie broth, do you blend the veggies cooked or raw? The soup sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete