April 27, 2013

Bean and Squash Dip or Chili

Yet You desired faithfulness even in the womb; You taught me wisdom in that secret place. Psalm 51:6

I love the imagery of this verse. God forming life in a woman's womb, and teaching the baby wisdom. Also, God's compassion for His people - His desire for us to be faithful, even though we are born sinful. God wants good for us, He wants us to find peace in being faithful to Him through prayer, humility, a gentle heart. So my hope for today is to remember that God loves me so, so much, and calls me to be faithful to Him. In my life, this means making my relationship with Jesus top priority over all (meaningless) things in this world. And to seek wisdom, to be more like Christ, and less like the stubborn, selfish, prideful sinner I really am.

Our powerful Lord desires faithfulness from us. Let Him teach you wisdom, let God guide you today. 


The other day I was a little low on vegetables, and our supply of cooked pinto beans was abundant and never ending (when is it ever ending?) so I decided to try a new dish. I also wanted to cook up some black beans since they are the tastiest bean known to the human race and had a hefty amount of cooked butternut squash on hand. What do you think I did with this situation? Well I gone and made a thick, half pureed-half chunky goodness bowl of chili! and then we ate it by the spoonful, (the cold, had-been-sitting-on-the-counter-cooling-since-we-already-had-a-bowl-for-dinner spoonful) and realized it tasted like a mighty good bean dip and wondered where the tortilla chips were. Oh my fancy pants. This is a good one.


Black Bean Chili n' Butternut Squash
adapted from raw on 10's recipe
serves....four?

You need:
1 large onion, chopped roughly
1-2 bell peppers, chopped
5 cups cooked beans (I used half black half pinto)
2 cups water
2 cups cubed butternut squash
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried cumin
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
a shake or 4 of red pepper flakes
pepper

This is how:
Bake your squash. I cut mine in half long ways, remove seeds and bake face down at 400 degrees F for about 20-30 minutes, covering half way through to prevent a burnt squash. Once cool, cut into sloppy-looking cubes. Bring a fairly large pot to a medium heat and add a few tablespoons of water or veggie stock (to prevent sticking). Water-saute your onion, bell pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper flakes and pepper for about 5 minutes. Add in about 3 cups of the cooked beans and the water. Let simmer and thicken up for about 10 minutes. If it gets too thick, add another cup of water. Once it is nice n' bubbly, most of the water gone but still a little remaining. Use a hand-blender to puree the entire soup - or, like I did, use a big spoon to transfer most of the soup to a high speed blender (we have Blendtec) and puree the business. Transfer back to the pot on low heat, stir in the remaining whole beans and butternut squash cubes and let it cook together for just 5 minutes or so.

Garnish with cilantro. Eat with your fingers



1 comment:

  1. Great post, I appreciate you and I would like to read your next post. Thanks for sharing this useful information. I really appreciate this, thanks
    Marketing consultant dorset, Online Marketing dorset , Advertising services dorset, Sell my business dorset , Business transfer dorset

    ReplyDelete