April 10, 2013

Motherhood: a Gift, a Challenge

That one day...

When I got frustrated because Santi wouldn't stay asleep during his evening nap.... and I had pizza waiting for me. My eyes were opened to how selfish my flesh is. Really, the pizza can wait. It will not melt into the plate and perish, it will be there in 10 minutes, an hour, or a day. 


Lesson: Don't go crazy, mom-of-a-six-month-old. Pizza is patient.




That other day...

When Santi fell asleep nursing, woke up just in time for me to start cooking my hubby's lunch, so I trusted in the power of the Moby wrap to keep him in sleepy mode. I wrapped him up and proceeded to cook, he got distracted from his need for sleep and decided to watch me. Then I forgot to cook the rice to add to the soup. Then the potatoes weren't done. Then my Edu arrived home. Then Santi got excited to see him. Then I had to skip dinner and put Santi to sleep. Then he cried more than expected. Then I nursed him. Then he spit up a little since he wasn't really hungry. Then I remembered I hadn't changed his diaper in a while. Then I found out he had a dirty diaper. Then he went to sleep in less than 10 minutes. 


Lesson: check diaper before naptime. Don't stress about dinner.

Dinner: steamed quinoa, vegetables simmered in this superb marinara. Simplicity at its finest (and tastiest).




Oh, I pray...

[A wife of Noble Character...] She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.  She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:  "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Proverbs 31:25-30

1 comment:

  1. I had to chuckle reading this! I have been there so many times, and then I pause and think, really?!?! Was it really worth losing my patience/calm because of ________ trivial thing! Like today when Tyler didn't want to eat his breakfast and we had a mini showdown and I thought he was just throwing a fit and exercising his newly found independence. And then when I finally gave up and got him out of his seat and I realized he had a dirty diaper....please forgive me, dear child, for trying to force you to eat while you were working on your own business! I am learning every day!

    ReplyDelete