April 25, 2013

Roasted Tofu and Veggies with Black Rice

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your steadfast love; according to Your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! Psalms 51:1-2 (ESV)

We are all sinners. Take it, it's a fact and there is no need to deny it or feel defensive. I'm a sinner, you're a sinner, our parents and children and grandparents are all sinners. But the greatest gift of all is having a God that loves us enough to give us freedom from sin. He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us so that we can be cleansed from all our sin. 

This verse is a beautiful prayer that I hope to someday memorize. It lifts me up and gives me hope. God's steadfast love, His abundant mercy that is able to blot out my transgressions - He takes them away completely and leaves me a clean slate! He washes us thoroughly, not sloppily or partially, but fully cleans us from our iniquity (immorality, injustice, wickedness, evil ways, sin) - all of it, gone. No questions asked. No if's, and's, or but's. No exceptions. Praise the Father for His amazing love!




I enjoy throwing copious amounts of vegetables and cubed tofu on a baking dish and into a very hot oven. I know a lot of the vegetables may die a little in their bright color, may lose a nutrient or twelve, may burn on the edges and cry out for life again... but honestly. It's hard to deny the intense flavor of a dish like this.

You need:
  • 12oz block of extra firm tofu (I use Sproutofu)
  • 3 cups broccoli
  • 3 large carrots
  • 2 zucchini
  • 1 bell pepper
  • balsamic vinegar
  • 2 dates
  • a splash of water
  • seeds to garnish
The way it's done:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
  2. Cube your tofu and dice up all your veggies
  3. Mash your dates in a bowl and add about 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, whisk together with a fork and add a few splashes of water to help. You're looking for a runny date-paste. Appetizing, I know. Pour this delightfulness atop your tofu and veggies and toss to coat. 
  4. Bake over parchment paper (or foil) on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes, flip things over and move 'em around, then bake for another 10 minutes or so, until everything is lookin' golden delicious.
  5. Sprinkle with raw sesame seeds (unhulled = keeps the calcium in!) and sunflower seeds. Also can be served with homemade tahini, but I didn't get that far. Seeds sprinkled all over worked just as well in the flavor department!

No comments:

Post a Comment