April 1, 2013

Veggies over Quinoa

It's funny and fascinating how our taste buds change over time. We truly have the ability to train our tongues to enjoy foods we used to be bland to us. Take salt, for example. Without it in our food, the majority of us would dislike a dish, call it flavorless and have to add some sort of condiment in order for us to enjoy it. Yet, we are capable of weaning ourselves off of that salt need and within weeks we could prepare that same salt-less dish and actually like it! I love this, and have learned how true it is by experience.

Exhibit A: quinoa with pepper, water sautéed vegetables with Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. A side of avocado for topping, and a fork for eating. I can actually taste the nutty flavors of the quinoa, the sweetness of bell pepper, the earthy tones of broccoli and cabbage. And boy oh boy was it good! I am aware of the fact that I use this word a lot, but: simplicity. It's just so easy sometimes!



For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. (Galatians 1:10 ESV)
I pray that I would stop worrying so much about whether or not my actions, words and thoughts are pleasing to those around me. I need to strive to serve God in all I do, and hope my peers will be encouraged and inspired to do the same. It's such a relief, because I cannot imagine having the homework of making everyone in my life happy. We are humans! We always want more, more, more - and we want it now. Can you picture that task? Trying to feed a hunger that is never satisfied, a thirst that cannot be quenched by worldly things.

The beauty in seeking to live for our Maker is that we can keep our eyes on Him alone and naturally the people we come into contact with will be blessed - God will fill that need and we don't have to! His Word will satisfy their hunger for something bigger than what this world offers, His presence with quench their thirst. He is that powerful and that loving.

So I strive: to seek the approval of God and please Him, not man.


No comments:

Post a Comment