May 13, 2013

Easy Broccoli + Green Smoothies for Baby

And He said to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. Luke 10:2 ESV

We, as believers and followers of Christ Jesus, are the laborers. We are few. We are called to share the news of God sending His Son, Jesus, to die on a cross and rise up again, for the forgiving of our sins and the gift of eternal life with Him! The world, needing to be reached, needing to be taken care of, guided, taught in the truth of Jesus and the salvation He offers, is the harvest. There is plenty, plenty of lost souls looking for a promise, looking for hope. Let's follow our calling and talk to everyone about their loving Lord, their Creator and compassionate Father!
 

Santiago has recently been going absolutely wild for my green smoothies (and his grandparents' smoothies, for that matter). Since mine have been pretty simple lately (greens and 1-2 fruits with water) I figure they are perfect for his taste buds and digestion, so we share them. I remember watching this video back in 2011 and thinking it was the craziest, coolest thing ever - seeing kids eating smoothies full of green leafy goodness!
 

Now that I am able to do it myself, I'm stoked! Happy green baby, happy green parents. He gets so excited as we fill the spoon with a taste of the smoothie, his arms flap and his feet kick, mouth wide open and eyes focused on the prize. Adorable mess.


Trick of the day: EASIEST BROCCOLI EVAH! So my husband is one of those (inspiring) people that can eat floret after floret of raw broccoli with no problem, no dip, no seasoning, no nothing. And he enjoys it. I, on the other hand, am one of those folks that just. can't. do. it. I have tried, time and time again, with no luck. Too much something that doesn't allow me to enjoy broccoli for all it's made to be - strong tasting and, I know, awesome for you. I bake it, pan-fry it, throw it in casseroles, used to toss it in my smoothies, I've done it all and enjoyed it, but I want to keep it more simple and less crazy-processed-just-for-the-sake-of-making-it-edible-to-my-picky-self. Here is the rad solution I have found:

Steam it.
Add red pepper flakes.
Consume.


The broccoli looks alive still - which is nice since baked broccoli is usually dark, dark green or black in my life (and oh so crispy delicious!) and I can steam it just a smidge to help remove the bitter flavor and keep all the good nutrients inside each piece. Recently, since Santiago has started solids and fallen knee-deep for broccoli trees, I have been steaming big portions and eating them without any red pepper flakes or nothin' and it's so delicious! I do over-steam it a bit for his sake, though, to prevent choking. Mushy broccoli, you're welcome in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment