May 24, 2013

How to: Romaine Lettuce Wraps

And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20

I see these verses as three simple, yet bold, truths: Jesus has ALL power on earth and in heaven. He calls His followers to SHARE the gift of Salvation through Him and to share His teachings. And He promises that He is WITH US now and always.

~~~~~

There are days where I find myself not in the mood to cut up greens for a salad. I am then left with two options: make sure I had enough green smoothies in the morning to stay alive and not fall to my knees, weak and green-less, needing a leaf of spinach in the next two minutes or I will surely lose it or I can make simple romaine boats. Heat up the meal (beans, rice, both, lentil burgers) or grind up a nut-based patee, and start the process.


(Above, Mexican rice and beans, steamed broccoli and raw carrots - get in your romaine boats!) We are huge fans of bean burgers in this home, and recently I found I could enjoy an extra burger if I skipped the bun completely and used romaine leaves. This also helps my tummy to be able to fit more sweet potato fries in it during the meal, which is a huge plus. I love sweet tater fries, who don't, man? Romaine leaf, guacamole, bean burger. Buns are for my hubby, who uses them as the base then tops off his burger with a romaine "lid".



This one was a use-up-leftovers-stat! type of meal. Romaine heart (the big, dark green leaves eaten up and you're left with the crispy heart) with a flaxseed mushy herb thing (ground flaxseed, tomato, herbs, lemon juice) then topped with steamed vegetables. Salsa went in there, too. 'cause I love me a burning mouth post-meal!


So try it next time. Grab a few heads of romaine at the grocery store next time you're in, and throw your meal inside it. Seriously, this works for casseroles, thick stews/chili, any type of burger, stir fry, etc! It's my favorite. 10 points for romaine wraps!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome meals but missed seeing Santi's pic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed this... apparently I ended up with too many food pictures and not enough baby pictures on the camera! Working on improving this, haha :)

      Delete