May 3, 2013

Hungry.

“‘For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world…’ Jesus declared, ‘I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me will never go hungry’” John 6:33, 35a

It's been such a gift to grow spiritually this past year or so. For the first time in my life, I understand what it means to hunger for Jesus. It's definitely a battle to satisfy that hunger while living in a world that is so full of distractions. On a daily basis I find myself looking to my phone and having to choose between the bible app (spiritually satisfying, eternal, guides us for what is to come after this life is over) and Instagram or YouTube (temporarily entertaining, stimulating, interesting yet slightly addicting). Most of the time I click on entertainment instead of spiritual food, which leaves me craving more of God's word.

If anyone is struggling to really understand what this "hunger for Christ" is all about, I have found the gem. It's about diving into the Bible daily. It's about communicating with your Creator every moment you remember to. It's about having grace for yourself when you aren't perfect on your spiritual walk. It's about realizing what sins you're clinging to, repenting and making an effort to stop (for me it's pride, among other things) . It takes work, it takes time and discipline, but it will happen if you ask God to make it happen.

To finally realize how much I need my Savior (His scripture, a relationship with Him that includes me talking to Him often) I needed to make a new habit. I realized how full of pride I am, how selfish I am, how stubborn I am. The Holy Spirit often opened my eyes to this but I got defensive and angry about it, immediately searching for ways to justify, in my heart, why I was this way.

Then I was reminded to have grace. God has grace for me and forgives me, lets me run back to Him when I fail or fall.

I was reminded how we are called to be humble. I saw my pride for the first time ever and had no idea how much I struggled with it until I tried to calm it down. Constantly praying to change, and multiple times a day catching myself - which I am amazed by, because that's the Holy Spirit of God showing me what I'm doing and helping me to change!

Anyhow. To put it simply, I recommend opening your bible daily. You might not want to, you might not be amazed every. single. time. Yet it will become habit, and by God's love you will see a change in your life in time. Pray every time you think to - whatever you are doing, pray. Rejoice in the good days, be patient in the trying days, thank your Creator for everything He has made - it's all around you!

And believe it: you'll hunger for Jesus.


No recipe this time! I'm going through some ch-ch-ch-changes in my eating habits and there isn't a whole lot of awesome recipe involved. Mainly mono meals & giant bowls of greens. Still trying to figure it out, will post details another day. Adious!

No comments:

Post a Comment