June 17, 2013

Birthday: 25 YEARS

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe,
Hebrews 12:28

I love this confirmation that the kingdom of Heaven cannot be shaken, it is firm and forever will be standing strong. We can receive a pass into this majestic place when we accept the salvation that God's Son, Jesus Christ, so lovingly offers us. So let us be thankful for this promise, accept this gift and live with the hope of (a perfect, eternal) life after this one!

Worship God acceptably with "reverence and awe", some translations of this verse say, "with fear" - I wanted to get a better idea if how we are called to worship, so I looked up each of these words. I think this helps my limited self to comprehend this verse a little better.

Worship God with awe: "an emotion comparable to wonder but less joyous...as a combination of surprise and fear. ...an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful,"  -- ADMIRATION, a great word to remember when worshiping!  

Worship God with reverence: "a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; ....involves a humbling of the self in respectful recognition of something perceived to be greater than the self"  -- Deep respect, humbling of the self!  

Worship God with fear: "The Fear of God is felt because one understands the "fearful expectation of judgement" (Hebrews 10:27). Still, this is not a fear that leads one to despair, rather it must be coupled with trust, and most importantly, love. In Psalms 130:3-4, it is said, "If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared." -- A fear that us coupled with trust and LOVE!  

(All definitions sourced from Wikipedia)

Commentary by Matthew Henry: "This blood of Christ speaks in behalf of sinners; it pleads not for vengeance, but for mercy. See then that you refuse not his gracious call and offered salvation. See that you do not refuse Him who speaketh from heaven, with infinite tenderness and love..."

So let us worship our incredible God, be thankful and excited for the kingdom He has prepared for us!

----------------------------------

Recently I turned 25 years old. Even though it feels like my birthday was 5 months ago since time goes by so fast, it was actually on May 25th. This sort of gives you the idea of how behind I am on blogging - I haven't even documented life that happened three weeks ago! Expect the possibility of a photo dump in the near future. Hubby Edu and I have gone to Seattle on a date day, we have had family day visiting the sculpture park in Seattle, I ate raw vegan meals for dinner for 2 weeks straight and actually enjoyed them, our babe turned 9 months old, then Father's day happened, we had six more children, and celebrated our 55 year wedding anniversary (I told you time goes by really, really fast.



Birthday bash was celebrated by a day in work land - woo hoooooo!! - followed by a beautiful birthday greeting at home that included 2 watermelon cakes, an adorable baby boy fascinated by balloons, and my mum n' dad. Then a trip to the beach, later a dinner celebration (first communion for their kiddos, actually) with family friends. Edu works until the evening on Saturdays, so he gifted me with a bowl of guayavas in the early morning. These little fruits are one of my favorites from Mexico. Each year that we visit, I love being welcomed by a kitchen that contains a bowl full of these soft, sweet fruits. I also have been looking frantically for a wood bowl to eat my fruit meals in, and he has noticed this act of mine so in a beautiful wood bowl he placed the fruits. He is a caring hubs, I love him for the little details!


 
I was sort of taken aback by these watermelon cakes. When I walked up the stairs to the main floor where this beautiful set up was set before me, I was confused to be honest. Cake? My mom and pa made me cake? Cakes, actually - since there were two of these gems on the counter. I know that fruit was placed on them, so I was definitely drawn to them but I had no idea they were made of an entire watermelon bigger than the length of my torso. Who thinks of these things? Paleo Cupboard - that's who. Click the link to the site for the full recipe. My husband devoured this cake in the time span of about a third of a day (exaggeration, it took him a couple days) and rumor has it these cakes are going to make a second appearance, as well as a third and fourth appearance, at future family gatherings. Get excited!
 


This year has definitely been one of the biggest blessings I have received from the Lord. I cannot believe how much He has taught me, guided me and transformed my heart. I am and will always be a work in progress as I dig into His word and try to live for Him, I am sure of this. As long as God gives me time here on earth I won't ever reach perfection, or be even close to being like His Son, Jesus Christ. Yet I really believe that each day He, by His grace and forgiveness, is guiding me as I try to reflect my Creator in all I do. I fall and fail on a daily basis, I catch myself mid-thought and mid-sentence in my old ways, my pride, my selfishness, my rudeness. But guess what? That's the Spirit of God living in me, opening my eyes to the things I need to work on, all I need to pray about, all the more reason to read His Word daily and be in constant communication with Him.

Growing in Jesus is absolutely incredible. It humbles you, saves you, gives you hope, cleanses you of your wrong doings, and helps you make it through each day in this mad, mad world. Here's to year 26, it's in God's perfect hands and I will not fear.

2 comments:

  1. happy belated birthday! Fantastic the watermelon cake! I want one for my bday too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco! Hope you enjoy your future watermelon cake, they are absolutely delish!

      Delete