July 5, 2013

Cucumber Noodles, Meet Sweet Oranges

Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 
1 Corinthians 8:1

Knowledge puffs us up. In other words, when we possess it our egos become engorged, we are filled with pride and we somehow believe we are better than our fellow companions who have less knowledge than we do. Knowledge isn't always good.

Love, on the other hand, builds up. It encourages those around us, it can lift a heavy heart and give hope to the hopeless. It's the very reason that God gave us His Son, and gives us life. It forgives past errors and sins, it guides us optimistically through the day, it satisfies us more than anything this world can offer. God is love, love is God. Love builds up.

I like how The Message ends the translation of these first three verses of 1 Corinthians 8:

"Sometimes our humble hearts can help us more than our proud minds. We never really know enough until we recognize that God alone knows it all."

I've been praying for a humble heart recently, after realizing how often pride creeps into my life and goes unnoticed. It's pretty eye opening how selfish and prideful we are - it's always about us, our needs first, everything else comes second. I'm trying to focus on my Savior first, then my spouse, baby, lastly myself. Life is about living for more than ourselves - it's all about Jesus: living to serve our Creator by serving each soul He has purposefully placed in our lives.

Giving it all up to Him! He is in control!


When this girl mentioned cucumber noodles, I wasn't sure she was going in the right direction. And then this meal happened. And my mindset was forever changed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment