July 14, 2013

Dinner: Fruit Before the Meal

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:31, 32

God, in His Son Christ Jesus, offers us complete forgiveness of our past sins. He is full of kindness, He has a tender heart, and He calls us to strive for these things as well. His Spirit worked through Paul, the author of the book of Ephesians, and purposefully had him list: bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander and malice as things that should be put off completely as a believer and follower of Jesus. It's a heavy list, and many sins stem out of these "root" sins, so avoiding them is essential! I think of how our lives are testimonies to the world, everyone sees what we do (in public) and if we are full of anger, bitterness, or wrath- what type of testimony are we giving to, say, a coworker that has yet to know the Lord? On the other hand, if our heart is set on giving a good testimony of how God has saved us, transformed us and changed us by filling our hearts with kindness and forgiveness - how many more will want to ask us about our faith and seek their Creator!

Just a thought today. Sometimes it's easy for me to say, "I don't have any of those bad things in my heart right now" but I know I do, so I simply ask God to make them known to me. Open my eyes to the sins deep down in me that I do not see, bring them to the light so that I can change. It's such a beautiful reminder of His presence and hearing our prayers, because soon enough I will catch myself with a nasty thought, or a bitter feeling when I hear someone's name, and BAM - God opened my eyes and made it clear. This spiritual walk is a life long journey, until we are in Jesus' presence we are growing and being changed my Him. It's absolutely incredible.


A cool idea I have fallen upon is the whole, "eat fruit before dinner" trick. Since fruit digests fairly quickly (under an hour) while vegetables and cooked foods take longer (1-4+ hours, longest to digest are fats), it's best for the fruit to hit your belly + intestines first. Afterward you munch on all the vegetables you'd like and they will slowly do their thing behind the fruit. Imagine reversing this, and eating a potato with some avocado on the side. Then eating a plate full of grapes. The potato and avo would be joyfully digesting when woah woah woaahhhh here comes them grapes, speeding through the digestive track, running into your used-to-be-happy starch/fat foods. Bring on bloating, gas, discomfort and the like.

I don't think that sounds awesome, or would feel superb. We've all experienced it though, at least I have a zillion times. I used to always wonder why on earth I hurt so much after work parties where food + fruit was served potluck style. I would eat fruit, then a bunch of cooked food, then always want more fruit. For one, I bet my body knew there were a handful of nutrients lacking in my cooked meal so it called for more calories in general, and two - fruit is uhmazing. An hour or so later my gut would hurt like the craziness and I blamed the cantaloupe. Every time. Silly rabbit.


Romaine, kale waldorf salad, mangos, steamed peas and sweet potato. Mango first! Salad 2nd. Cooked vegetables third (shared with Santi boy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment