July 17, 2013

Raw: Zucchini Noodles and Tomato Sauce

Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders.

Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

I Peter 5:5-7 NKJV

I used to be rebellious toward my elders. I'm going to look at the word, "elders" as anyone who is older than me by at least 15 years. In grade school, this included all of my teachers. I never heard of the idea of respecting them, even less so did I understand what it meant to submit myself to them. They were older, they weren't as fun as my friends, and most of them were teaching me subjects I didn't care about. I wonder what kind of student I would have been had I memorized this first verse. Would I have greeted the teachers in the morning, behaved in their classroom in a respectful way, contributed to their lesson of the day, been intrigued by the subject they were passionate about? Just a thought. Man, I was a strange adolescent. I'm so glad I sort of knew about Jesus and sort of feared my parents (in obedience) even though I would have been better off fearing the Lord (in obedience).

I'm really praying for humility lately. I've been catching myself puffed up with pride, disguised as it often is as "self-confidence" and I'm not liking it. To be more like the giving Jesus Christ, to count myself as a servant before those around me, is my hope and prayer. To respect the authority God has placed in my life: my boss, the government, the law in general. To be submissive toward my elders: the pastors, my older siblings? My spouse.

Living for others, and serving God by serving people is a gift, and a challenge. What I hope for most is that, in servanthood, the praise I receive I would direct it to Christ. To quote pastor Mark Driscoll's recent sermon:

"the goal is for the world not to know me, but for the world to know God. Reflect, mirror, show, echo some attributes of God.

That is very generous of you.
- God is generous.
That is very loving of you.
- God loves you through me.

Be humbly BOLD. Speak about the Lord whenever anyone speaks highly of you."

------

I have discovered the art of raw, Italian-esque pasta dishes. I have also come to the realization that straining your raw pasta sauce before pouring it over a bowl of spiralized zucchini is recommended or you will end up with Italian zucchini noodles with yummy madness sauce and a river or liquid - yay! No. Not yay. Strain your sauce. It will be thicker, amazing-er, and it makes life a better place at the dinner table. Serve with greens.

  • 3 medium tomatoes
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 3 celery stalks
  • fresh basil (handful)
  • 1-2 dates
  • optional: garlic, onion 
I like to strain the sauce after blending, and sometimes leaving it a little chunky.  Straining helps the noodles not swim in tomato juices and the sauce bulks up! I think this would be dreamy good with diced mushroom for volume.


Santi says, "teething is for wimps and I'm not one but I am showing my feelings because I'm brave. Oh and I want some of my mom's raw pasta dish."

No comments:

Post a Comment