August 5, 2013

Raw "Tacos" for the Win!

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Romans 12:2 ESV

"Do not be conformed to this world..." I think this was my motto the last years of high school. Not because I wanted to be like Jesus, but because I didn't want to be like everyone else. I wanted to be different, and stand out among the clones of the class of 2006. It worked, too. I wasn't like all the other girls, but it didn't make me any cooler. Now I would measure my "coolness" not by how unique I am on a scale of 1-10, but how much I seek to be like Christ and have grace for myself when I stumble (daily).

This verse is amazing. We are told to be transformed by the renewal of our minds. When we believe that God sent us His only Son, Jesus, to live among the people, die for our sins and rise again for our salvation a sake, and decide to live for HIM and not for ourselves - something incredible happens. We are no longer our old selves, but we are a NEW creation in Christ Jesus!

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV

We don't have to be like the rest of the world who has yet to find their Creator, their hope, who saves them from the slavery of sin. We are free in Christ, we are saved by His grace, we are forgiven because our God loves us and offers sanctification. We're free at last. Since we are free, the Spirit of God dwells in us and guides our steps (as well as thoughts and words) - and He helps us to live in a way that pleases our Heavenly Father.

I used to pray, "Your will be done in my life" or, "what ever Your will be in this situation.." yet I have come to realize that we CAN live according to God's good and perfect will if we ask Him to help us do so. "Lord, help me to live according to Your will!" meaning we ask Him to inspire our thoughts, words and actions throughout the day. We trust that if we depend on Him fully, we will mirror His Son and reflect all He has done for us - not perfectly, but in a way that pleases our Savior, in humility.

We are no longer conformed to this world, we have been transformed. We are new in Jesus!


Santi being a great model and I practiced the art of photography with back lighting. T'was not the easiest of tasks, a lot of trial and error in Manual mode - but I like how this one turned out. Aaaaand his grin brings me great joy!

The following recipe is what happens when I decide not to take the extra 3 minutes to chop a head of lettuce. Instead, I give the big leaves a good rinse with cold water, pat dry, and call them taco shells. SO GOOD!

TACOS
  • 1 head of romaine, wash them leaves and pat dry
  • 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 2 tomatoes, cut into strips
  • 1 handful cilantro, diced
  • 1 serrano chili, diced or left whole to bite into during taco consumption (how my Mexican hubby taught me joyfully)
  • 1 lime's juices
  • 1/2 avocado
  • optional: corn, other veggies that are taco-friendly
Combine all the taco filling ingredients: tomato strips, bell pepper strips, diced cilantro, diced serrano, lime juice and the optionals. To eat your taco, mash some avocado on the leaf, fill with a few hefty spoonfuls of veggies and bite into the amazingness. Sometimes I eat like a boat *makes boat horn noise* or I place another romaine leaf on top like it's a sandwich. Voila!


easy. fast. yums.

No comments:

Post a Comment