October 8, 2013

Hubby's Half Marathon

The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 1 Timothy 1:15

God works in His own (surprising, interesting, unexpected) ways. Just this morning I was feeling in awe of God's unconditional love for this broken world (including the broken world that I am living). I started to list a handful of "even though"'s: even though I don't share your gospel the moment you open the window to do so, even though I have made idols of health, nutrition and in the past, fitness. Even though I'm not the best mama or nanny, and I lose my patience and my selfishness comes to the light. Even though I lose my train of thought while praying and find myself thinking of my to do list. Even though... I am a sinner, Jesus loves me and has saved me from an even darker handful of, "even though"'s. His love is huge. Our Creator loves us more than we can fathom.

And then I open up the bible app on my phone. And the disciple Paul says this, "The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost."

He calls himself the chief of sinners, basically the biggest one. He remembers how he himself persecuted followers of Christ, he wanted them slaughtered. He had a huge list of, "even though"'s and yet the Heavenly Father loves him just as much as He compassionately loves you and I.

I think it's a good lesson in letting The Lord transform your heart to be more humble, by writing down your "Even Though..." list and remembering that God stills loves you, and won't stop loving you no matter what you do. Yes, there are many things He hates as well, but think about it; if you children were intentionally sinning against all you have asked them to do, wouldn't you hate what they are doing, but continue to love them deeply?

He cares. He is our Father. He loves us.

~~~~~

Recently the hubs bubs ran a half marathon. It was early, it was chilly willy, and it great company, it was much enjoyed. I received a quick photography lesson from a 60/70-something year old man who had much camera experience, and to him I say, thank you, sir. If it weren't for him, the photo of Edu arriving at the finish would have looked similar to what you see when you cross your eyes in a bad-lit room while jumping up and down. Photography is fascinating. My husband crossing the finish line at rapid speeds is even more fascinating.

early bird.

the cheesy grin.

the sleepy sandwich.


the police that guide the way.

the running peanut.

The joy of being a grandpa.

The finish.

The happy papa and his cub.

The family smiles.

The they-come-every-time loving support system.
Even though running is a huge part of my husband's life, we acknowledge that without God, none of it would exist. No legs, no strength, no speed, no motivation, no nothing. Run with your eyes fixed on Jesus, not with your eyes fixed on the competition, whether it be against others or against yourself. Run because Christ gives you the freedom to run in His name. Run with a purpose. Run and thank the Creator who gives you the ability to put one foot in front of the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment