November 17, 2013

Cucumber, Apple Salad

For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed striving against sin. Hebrews 2:3-4

I have been looking to Matthew Henry's commentary often as I'm diving deeper into God's Word recently. If I don't, sometimes I read verses like the ones above and don't really feel spiritually "fed". This is my small translation of these verses: I consider Jesus, who endured rude, heartless, sinners that hated Him. When I consider this I am humbled, since I never feel what He felt, never feel people's blunt hatred toward me, physical abuse and verbal loathing. I am told to not be discouraged, because Christ went through life so much harder than I ever will and I have yet to bleed profoundly as Jesus did on the cross for my sin.

Here is a little bit from Matthew Henry (full commentary of entire bible can be found on this website!): Our Lord Jesus, the captain of our salvation, does not call His people out the hardest trials at first, but wisely trains them up through less sufferings to be prepared for greater sufferings. He is the gentle shepherd who will not overdrive the young ones of the flock. Christ is gentle. He accommodates our trails based on our strength. May I not magnify my afflictions, making them greater than they actually are. May I see Christ's mercy in them and pity those who are called to the fiery trials who are resisting to blood- shedding their own blood while sealing their testimony (the persecuted all around the world, who are prohibited to carry or read a bible, who are killed because they love and serve Christ. I can't even fathom.). We should be ashamed to faint under less trials - when so many are suffering much greater than us. If I feel weary in peace, how will I handle the heavy trials that await?

I am humbled. I am encouraged. All the trials that God allows to cross my path, are nothing compared to the suffering of Jesus Christ. And in affliction, no matter how heavy, overwhelming, or suffocating, my strength comes from Him alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who loves cucumbers. 
Who loves cucumbers.
Santi, Santi, Santi loves them sooooo. 
My aunt and uncle were very generous and gave us two big cucumber plants in containers and they went absolutely wild (the plants, not my aunt/uncle) and gave us massive amounts of delicious cucumbers! Fast forward a month or two, and both plants are no longer existent - one now contains green onion and the other contains dirt. But oh how we enjoyed them cucumbers. I give them to Santi peeled and he eats them like a banana. Munch, munch, munch!




This salad. So good. So refreshing. So good. Did I mention good?

Cucumber n' Apple Salad!
serves 1 hungry human or 2 that aren't as hungry.
  • 1 head of romaine
  • 3-4 medium cucumbers
  • 1 handful cherry tomatoes
  • 4 apples
  1. Wash, spin, chop up your greens. Spiralize or chop your peeled cucumber. Half them tomatoes. Cut up your cored apples. EAT IT ALL!
The juicy tomatoes, water-rich cucumber and crispy apples leave this salad in no need of a dressing - hey, that's two no-dressing salad posts in a row! And, okay, lemon juice would actually make this really, really good. Will remember for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment